Tuesday, September 4, 2018

I Am Back! Having for a time lost my interest, and my password I am back after not posting since 2011.


The lesson.

I was young, perhaps ten. Off in a corner of Dad's repair shop I was intensely trying to cut a piece of steel with a hand hacksaw. Lots of motion, not much cutting. Walking by Dad stopped, watched for a couple seconds then said simply, “let me show you something”.
Picking up the saw he pointed to the angle of the teeth, “ only cuts on the forward stroke, you are wasting your time putting pressure on the back cut, just let it coast back then put your weight into the forward cut, not to much pressure now, you will feel when its right.”
He put the saw to my work, it looked so effortless, the teeth bit into the work the filings falling out on every forward stoke.
Handing the saw back he went his way. I put his lesson to work. Although the cut was not as quick as his I found my rhythm, the sweet spot.
I never use the hacksaw I don’t think of my Father, remember back to the time he stopped what he was doing to set his youngest son right.
A sharp blade, a good solid saw frame, pressure, coast, pressure, coast, then lighten up on the final stroke, the light clink as the piece hits the bench.

 Been ten years, you did good Dad, miss you. Roy

1 comment:

  1. Alstrailers is the best Highway trailer dealers in new & used RV Sales in Oregon along with finance option. We have all the brands of RV parts and Accessories.
    http://www.hwytrailersale.com/

    ReplyDelete